Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Discipline

Discipline can be a funny thing - some days you have more than you know what to do with it and other days it is so hard to even make yourself stick to the simplest of plans.

I have found that from this break up, I have been able to translate my discipline of not contacting John (and yes, I have 'failed' this a couple of times) into other areas of my life as well.

The first thing that it has greatly impacted is my diet and exercise. I find myself making much better food decisions and making myself head to the gym. I don't always make the right decision (the Zaxby's I had for lunch on Monday is coming to mind) but I always make sure to make adjustments in my food for the rest of the day or adding extra exercise to balance it out.

Best Part: the weight loss I have experienced in the last month. It just keeps me motivated to continue on the path I am on and in some ways makes me want to kick it even more into overdrive to see results that much faster.

One of the most helpful tools that I have been using is Livestrong My Plate. You can sign up for free and with some quick calculating determine your daily calorie count for the weight loss goal you want to obtain. You can then track all the food you eat and the exercise you get in for the day.

In my opinion, the best part about calculating calories while you are trying to lose weight is learning portion control. This also makes you realize that you might have been overeating. I find that what seems to be working for me is a protein shake for breakfast, a light lunch, at least 2 snacks and veggies/chicken for dinner.

I have also cut out cokes (for the most part) and I have really cut back on the amount of alcohol that I have been drinking. It is amazing what those empty calories can do to sabotage your weight loss.

Anyway - if you are trying to lose weight or even get a better diet, I hope this has been helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment